Have you ever heard that all disease begins in the gut? The father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, believed that was true and modern research seems to support that hypothesis. Essential Oils for leaky gut can help you start healing your gut.
Most Diseases Have Chronic Inflammation as Their Root Cause
Inflammation begins in the gut and spreads elsewhere through the body. Therefore, if you can heal inflammation at its root – in the gut – you can heal it elsewhere in the body.
All of the issues below are caused by systemic inflammation (with an inflamed gut as the root cause)
- Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Seasonal allergies, sinus infections or asthma.
- Hormonal imbalances such as PMS or PCOS.
- Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, lupus, psoriasis, or celiac disease.
- Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia.
- Mood and mind issues such as depression, anxiety, ADD or ADHD.
- Skin issues such as acne, rosacea, or eczema.
- Achy joints, headaches, arthritis
- Diagnosis of candida overgrowth or strong cravings for sugar or carbohydrates
- Food allergies or food intolerances.
Inflammation in the Gut Can Lead to Inflammation Elsewhere in the Body
The cells lining the gut (small intestine) are connected by semi-permeable tight junctions that serve as important gatekeepers. They block the bad guys — undigested food, bacteria, fungus, yeast, parasites and other toxins – and let in the good guys, absorbing the vital nutrients the body needs.
Just like a good goalie on a soccer team, these tight junctions block all unwanted microbes and toxins from entering the body, while selectively allowing nutrients to be absorbed. Now imagine that the same soccer goal inflamed to 2 -3 times larger than its normal size. It would be a lot more difficult for the goalie to defend, right?
The same is true for defending against pathogens when the gut is inflamed. Gut inflammation compromises the tight junctions, leading to increased permeability and allowing harmful pathogens and undigested food to pass, or leak, into the body (Leaky Gut). This triggers an immune response where these toxins and undigested foods are tagged as “foreign invaders” and attacked by the body’s immune system which can lead to food allergies/intolerances. It also prevents vital nutrients from being properly digested, absorbed and assimilated.
This chronic inflammation and immune response cycle left unchecked over time can lead to auto immune issues. Often, when inflammation becomes chronic, there are often no discernible symptoms until there is a loss of function.
Gut Inflammation Triggers
The consumption of inflammatory foods, including too much sugar, alcohol or foods they are sensitive to, or eating under stress, infections like candida, parasites, and small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), toxins, chronic stress, dehydration, antibiotics or medications like aspirin or steroids.
How to Heal a Leaky Gut
Healing a leaky gut requires a combination of dietary changes, along with select supplements and essential oils. As we are all bio-individual, we encourage you to work directly with a healthcare practitioner to customize the 5 steps below to your specific needs.
- Support Optimal Digestion: Impaired digestion can contribute to inflammation. One of the most important elements of healing the gut is to eat in the optimal rest and digest Parasympathetic state. You can do this by really taking time to sit down, relax, and breathe before eating. We also recommend applying a drop of Vibrant Blue Parasympathetic™ oil to the vagal nerve (behind the earlobe on the mastoid bone) before meals to trigger optimal digestion. You might also consider Pancreas™ Oil to support digestive Enzymes and Vibrant Blue Detox Support Kit™ to support optimal detoxification.
- Reduce Inflammation: In order for the gut to heal, you need to remove the source of damage. This could include inflammatory foods, medications, alcohol and intestinal infections. Consider a strict elimination diets that remove all grains, sugar, dairy, corn, soy (and in some cases nuts, eggs and nightshades). You can also help to reduce inflammation through topical application of Vibrant Blue Anti-Inflammatory™ oil rubbed clockwise around the belly button 2 – 3 x daily.
- Repair Intestinal Mucosal Lining: Healthy gut flora and mucosal lining are critical for absorbing nutrients from food neutralizing toxic substances. To repair both, it is important to add in nutrient dense whole foods, supplements and essential oils to support digestive weaknesses, including Intestinal Mucosa™ Oil rubbed clockwise around the belly button 2 – 3 x daily.to help restore the balance of healthy intestinal flora.
- Stress Modifications: The body’s response to stress throws other systems, including the digestive and immune system, out of balance and can seriously undermine efforts to heal the gut. Our adrenal glands help determine and regulate the body’s stress response by secreting key hormones, like cortisol and adrenaline (epinephrine). The health and resilience of these key stress response organs (along with the hypothalamus) determine our tolerance to stress. So you want to keep your adrenals in tip top shape for all other healing to occur. To do so, consider minimizing stresses in your life and support your stress organs with Vibrant Blue Stress Support Kit™ (including Adrenal™). The adrenals also play a key role in Blood Sugar Regulation. You might consider supporting those organs with Vibrant Blue Blood Sugar Support Kit™.
- Sleep: Adequate, restful sleep is critical for maintenance and repair of the mind and body, including our ability to think, to handle stress, to maintain a healthy immune system and moderate our emotions. This means not only the ability to fall asleep, but also to stay asleep and achieve a restful REM state. For help falling asleep, you might consider Vibrant Blue Oils Circadian Rhythm™ blend, which triggers the pineal gland to release melatonin or Sleep™ blend for general relaxation. For night waking, consider the Vibrant Blue Blood Sugar Support Kit™ or Vibrant Blue Detox Support Kit™.
Please feel free to share this article with anyone in your life who might benefit from reducing inflammation or keep the conversation going by leaving a comment below.
Ready to get started? Click the links below to order today:
- Adrenal™ available here
- Anti-Inflammatory™ available here
- Blood Sugar Support Kit™ available here
- Circadian Rhythm™ available here
- Detox Support Kit™ available here
- Intestinal Mucosa™ available here
- Pancreas™ available here
- Parasympathetic™ available here
- Stress Support Kit™ available here